At the Tucson Geek Meet for November 2007 we talked about good WordPress themes, especially ones that are clean and simply designed.
Here is a short list of WordPress themes that I like. Technical note: I haven’t checked the HTML/CSS source on all the themes, so while they may be visually appealing I can’t promise that they are well-built under the hood.
- Cutline: From Chris Pearson, Cutline is an elegant design that works well for blogs and business sites. It’s available in two- and three-column versions. Pearson has three other great WordPress themes as well.
- DePo: Designed by Derek Powazek, the DePo theme is minimal and graceful. The footer is a nice touch.
- Hemingway: A long-time favorite on WordPress.com, this clean design is available in a light or dark flavor.
- K2: Kubrick’s big brother — this is one theme that combines both clean design and a workhorse of a theme: sidebar modules, admin improvements, custom headers, live search, and more.
- Simplicity: Very similar to Hemingway — simple, two-column design. (Site is in German, but English theme is available there for download).
- And finally, for the very best in minimalist WordPress themes, check out Plaintxt.org’s The Best Minimalist WordPress Themes. I especially like Hemingway Reloaded.